Thursday, December 15, 2005

A legal alien

Bangkok

It's been an odd month. I thought I'd desperately miss the UK and my daily routine there. However, I've only missed specific aspects of it, particularly the delicious freedom inherent in academic life, and the creative buzz you get from working on papers. And some of my friends. I don't miss the early fall of darkness. I certainly don't miss the staggering cost of living and the town-centre mayhem on weekend nights. Yet, something about that country has a way of creeping in and wrapping itself deep inside of you - if you've lived for any length of time in England, I reckon a little bit of you will become and remain English. It's in the Sunday newspapers, the reassuring sound of the BBC newscaster, the sound of blackbirds in early spring, the way occasional summer days will find a perfection and balance to be found nowhere else in the world..

No comments: